Thursday, February 21, 2013

My Gold Award

So I am working on getting my Gold Award for Girl Scouts and I'm trying to come up with ideas about what to do for it....and I have no clue! I kind of want to do something diabetes related just because it's something that I'm relate-able to and I guess passionate about maybe? I don't know lol. But anyways, my Girl Scout Leader suggested maybe that I could set up like a workshop thing for teachers and other staff at my school to teach them about type 1 diabetes and what to do if something would happen to one of us. I know for a fact that most of my teachers don't know hardly anything about my diabetes. My band teacher kind of knows, but not really. I check my sugar in the band room now before lunch and call down to the nurses office to tell him what I am. Mr. Alfrey randomly asked how my "levels" were and I was like a little high and he had no idea what that even was. So, I am kind of thinking about doing that. i think it would be cool and something worthwhile for me and everyone else with diabetes that may be in my school. If I end up doing this I might do it at all the schools in my school cooperation, at least the elementary schools. I feel that if I'm gonna do it that I need to do it right and I would hate for one of the schools to get neglected.

Do you think that it's a good idea or a bad idea? I feel like I need some input here so I don't do something completely stupid....

1 comment:

Rachael said...

Hullo Samantha!
I am a 14 year-old diabetic going into the 10th grade. I have been a type one diabetic for 12 1/2 years, and I am also in Girl Scouts. ( I was really excited when I found that post) I also really want to do my Gold on Diabetes as well, and my mum came up with a great idea, which I am workings on. Her idea was to set up a club at my school. This club would help middle schoolers transfer into highschool, give an outlet for diabetic fustration, and do workshops and meetings to educate basicly everyone( both diabetics and non- diabetics) about how diabetes works and how to control it. I thought I'd share this with you, because I would really like this to be in more than one school, and it's something you could do. Hope I've helped! __Rachael__