Thursday, November 15, 2012

Happy Belated World Diabetes Day!!!

Hey everyone! Yesterday I got a text message from my mom during school saying "Happy World Diabetes Day!" I completely didn't realize it was yesterday until my mom sent that. Like I knew it was on November 14, but didn't make the connection I guess... So, if you weren't aware like I kinda was yesterday was World Diabetes Day. Here is what the International Diabetes Federation says about it:

"World Diabetes Day (WDD) is celebrated every year on November 14. The World Diabetes Day campaign is led by the International Diabetes Federation (IDF) and its member associations. It engages millions of people worldwide in diabetes advocacy and awareness. World Diabetes Day was created in 1991 by the International Diabetes Federation and the World Health Organization in response to growing concerns about the escalating health threat that diabetes now poses. World Diabetes Day became an official United Nations Day in 2007 with the passage of United Nation Resolution 61/225. The campaign draws attention to issues of paramount importance to the diabetes world and keeps diabetes firmly in the public spotlight. 

World Diabetes Day is a campaign that features a new theme chosen by the International Diabetes Federation each year to address issues facing the global diabetes community. While the themed campaigns last the whole year, the day itself is celebrated on November 14, to mark the birthday of Frederick Banting who, along with Charles Best, first conceived the idea which led to the discovery of insulin in 1922."
I know in Cincy there was a party at Fountain Square...sadly I couldn't go, but I definitely plan on it next year if there is one! 
Did anyone do anything special for World Diabetes Day?





Ironically, I had to go see my nurse practitioner at Cincinnati Children's yesterday for clinic. It was just a normal check-up type thing. After waiting for over an hour, she came in checked me out and did normal check-up stuff. She gave me an A+! She said she couldn't complain at all except me changing my sites every 4 days instead of the recommended every 2-3 days. And my A1C was 6.5! I'm not quite sure how it was, but it's still awesome! So, yesterday was a success for me. I was her last patient yesterday and she said she loves to end her day with someone doing such a good job....she said the same thing last time too.. lol :)

How is everyone doing with their care? Anyone else get an A+ at their last clinic??

Any questions?...comments?...


<3 Sam!


















No comments: